Pages

Friday, September 8, 2017

Top ten tips to deal with anxiety


It's Fri-yay bitches!



Hello my dears, gather round and have a seat. I'm not sure if any of you have twigged this about me yet, but I'm a bit of a nervous nelly; yes, surprising as it might be, I suffer with anxiety. Anxiety is more than being worried about something, it's waking up worried, being unabel to focus on making your breakfast because you're so worried. It's calling people when they don't reply, or arrive on time, because you're worried they've had an accident. It's needing exact phrasing on agreements, so it's in black and white, because you're anxious they'll change the terms. 

Anxiety is a beast, a really mean beast. If you're like me, or have any mental health condition, you should research coping mechanisms and find out what works for you. It's a very personal thing. To give you some hints or ideas, I'm going to explain how I muddle through life, 9/10 with these coping mechanisms, I cover my anxiety pretty well. 

1. Ground myself in Logic - Okay, they got out of the hospital visit at 4, that's a busy time on the roads, so chances are they haven't had an accidcent; they're just in a jam. 
Why this helps - This helps me remind myself that the anxiety is an irrational visitor in my house and it is not welcome here. 

2. Distraction - Using distraction techniques work across a wide variety of mental health issues, including anxiety, and borderline personality disorder. There's just so many distractions you can find. 

Examples:  - Talk to a friend
Talk to your pet
listen to music
write some music
read a book 
write a book 
adult colouring
drawing
graphic design 
create a blog
play a facebook game.

3. Get to the root of the problem - If I can work out why I am stressed, generally I can resolve the problems.

4. Write a letter, expressing how frustrated, angry, anxious, upset or whatever you are and then tear it into teeny-tiny peices!

5. Jam out to music, LOUD. I mean, pretty loud. Loud enough to feel a little naughty and very cathartic, maybe the level is custom to each person, I don't know! 

6. Lavender filled microwavable pads - essentially scent beads in a pouch, you pop it in the microwave and the world doens't seem to bad

7. Laying on my heating pad somehow often helps me. I think it's something to do with the heat just being soothing. 

8. A hot lavender scented bath and pampering session can remind you why self care is important, while the lavender acts as a relaxing agent.

9. Take any prescribed medications

10. If I really can't shake the anxious feeling, I will try to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment